Old 06-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #20
King Naugladur
Pile O'Bones

King Naugladur has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post
King Naugladur, you first said that Mîm was owed two compensations:

In fact, Mim was owed two compensations. One for lost profits, because when the Petty-Dwarves were ousted from Nargothrond, the profits they would have made if they delved the mines were denied to them and Turin's ransom for the killing of his son by Androg. The first compensation owed to Mim can justify his taking over the hoard, while the second can be used in order to say that Hurin's slaying of Mim was an unjust act. But, since Mim was slain, his inheritance should go to his people.

I didn't read anywhere that the Petty-dwarves were in Nargothrond when Finrod came there; so they can't have been 'ousted' by him. Would the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains, whom he asked to carry out building there, have done anything in a place from which their own kin were evicted? I don't think they would. My own view is that when Finrod came to Nargothrond, there were no Petty-dwarves there, they having already moved, died off, or both.

I still don't see how Túrin has anything to do with Finrod's hoard. Túrin's offer of compensation to Mîm was based on the event that he came into any wealth. But you can't promise to pay from what isn't yours. Túrin didn't even claim any rights over the hoard.

How is the killing of Mîm by Húrin unjust, as he had betrayed Túrin to Morgoth?

You then said this:

As for the Kinslaying, Thingol could demand a monetary or other compensation, but he should give the Silmaril to the rightful owners. I wonder, if Thingol demanded the Sons of Feanor pay an amount of coin to him in order to give them the Silmaril, what would their reaction be?

I'm not clear about what you suggested here. Is it that Thingol should have demanded monetary compensation from the sons of Fëanor in return for the Silmaril, due to the Kinslaying?
Dearest Faramir Jones,

In 'The Children of Hurin", it is said that the Petty-Dwarves hated the Exiles, for the Noldor had stolen their lands. We also know that the Elves did not understand that the Petty-Dwarves were incarnates and hunted them down for sport. Furthermore, we know that, while the other Dwarves resented the wrongs done to their kin, they were eager to work with the Elves, because both sides had gains from the cooperation.
While Turin had no rights on Finrod's hoard, Hurin ought to respect Turin's promise of paying a ransom to the Dwarf and not slay him. Moreover, Mim's betrayal was done in order for the Petty-Dwarf race to live a little longer, since the Orcs had Mim's surviving son as a hostage. Finally, Mim betrayed the Outlaws, but demanded Turin not to be harmed.
Coming to Thingol, what I suggested is that Thingol demands a compensation for the Kinslaying in every sort he wants and later, after the Sons of Feanor demanded the Silmaril, they enter negotiations concerning its surrender by Thingol to its rightful owners.

Waiting for your response,

King Naugladur.