View Single Post
Old 03-03-2003, 05:51 PM   #20
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

People say that the Vanyar never rebelled and slew their kin, BUT don't forget, Morgoth wasn't among them to corrupt them as much, he didn't steal their greatest works, and he didn't kill their king. They didn't have as much reason to rebel.

Let's say the Noldor wouldn't have gone back to ME. Then what? Beleriand gets sacked, the havens get ravaged, men never come into contact with them and therefore don't reach their peak, and Morgoth takes over the world.

People always seem to forget that Feanor's reaction to Morgoth was the correct one. Remember when he says of the Valar "In the end they will follow me"? Well, they do end up following him. They finally get off their butts and take out Morgoth, something they should've done a long time before.

The Noldor set out to take down Morgoth, and if the Valar, the Vanyar, and the Teleri would've just gone with them from the beginning, not only would they have won, but Feanor wouldn't have been forced to steal the ships, which means the kinslaying wouldn't have happenned.

In this instance, the seemingly irrational Noldor had the right idea. Peace and serenity are great, but they're not always the right answer, especially when dealing with evil.

What I'm saying here is "get off the Noldor's back"! Their circumstances were much different, and they did after all do a lot of great things. I'm sure that if the roles were reversed, there would've been a few Celegorms or Caranthirs among the Vanyar too.

(By the way, I'm not saying the Noldor were better, in fact I believe, as stated by the phantom, that one cannot definitively judge. Different circumstances = different results.)