View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 03:23 AM   #3
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
The Gollum treachuary scene is filmed well. He looks so lifelike. I know we are deviating here from the Path but I think I know WHY they did it (not that I agree with it)

2 things.

They wanted Frodo to talk to Gollum one more time to explain what he was doing with the Ring and how it would save Gollum. This one scene for me really shows Frodo's compassion for Gollum and his belief that he could Change very well. They couldn't do this with Sam around. We needed some quality 'alone' time with Frodo and Gollum.

The other thing is that Sam saves the day, like a modern day 'Action hero'. Frodo lying there about to be dragged away and feasted on and the shot changes to our Hero standing there with Sting ready to fight.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with this, I'm just saying why I think they did it like this

The Charge of the light brigade scene works well for me too. Pippins lament, as they charge, and denethor stuffing his face with the blood red tomato juice dripping out of his mouth are a masterstoke of filming.

Why not have a charge to their deaths? They were pretty much going off to die as they knew it. They knew they didn't have a chance to survive really. So why not go out with a bang?

I'm sure they were Pukel men as we see Elrond climb the path to Dunharrow

And the Arwen 'tied to the Ring' twist on the story. I view it as Arwen would die if the Rng wasn't destroyed and Sauron regained it. As she has pledged herself to Aragorn already (she becomes 'cold' to the touch as the life of the valar leaves her) so she is now mortal. If Sauron retains the ring, Aragorn will surely die, and therefore she will have no reason to go on living and will then die too (as she actually does book wise after Aragorn dies anyway.....)
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote