View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
They wanted Frodo to talk to Gollum one more time to explain what he was doing with the Ring and how it would save Gollum. This one scene for me really shows Frodo's compassion for Gollum and his belief that he could Change very well. They couldn't do this with Sam around. We needed some quality 'alone' time with Frodo and Gollum.
Are you saying that PJ may have added the whole "Go home Sam!" part just to have Frodo and Gollum alone? Couldn't the fat one just have been left sleeping for the scene?

Quote:
The other thing is that Sam saves the day, like a modern day 'Action hero'. Frodo lying there about to be dragged away and feasted on and the shot changes to our Hero standing there with Sting ready to fight.
Just another 'Gotcha!' PJism where we're to be surprised that Sam shows up. Anyone not know, or at least in the back of one's mind, think that Sam wasn't going to show up to save the day?

Quote:
Why not have a charge to their deaths? They were pretty much going off to die as they knew it. They knew they didn't have a chance to survive really. So why not go out with a bang?
Again, I like the scene as the way PJ overlapped the charge, Pip and Denethor was great. It's cool to see someone express a thought/idea without having to heavy-handedly show it. Maybe I'm thinking of that word 'subtle' again...

And it just irks me that Faramir, though suicidal, is shown to be a non-thinking Steward fanatic, not taking any consideration of the enemy. Why did he and his men even bother getting on the horses? For what they accomplish with 'the charge,' they could have been more useful falling on their swords in front of the Gate. At least their bodies would have made a speed bump.

Quote:
And the Arwen 'tied to the Ring' twist on the story. I view it as Arwen would die if the Ring wasn't destroyed and Sauron regained it. As she has pledged herself to Aragorn already (she becomes 'cold' to the touch as the life of the valar leaves her) so she is now mortal. If Sauron retains the ring, Aragorn will surely die, and therefore she will have no reason to go on living and will then die too (as she actually does book wise after Aragorn dies anyway.....)
I get your point, but to me (and maybe other viewers who know not the Valar) it could be viewed that Arwen, from kissing a mortal, caught the mortality bug, keeping her from ocean travel. She's now stuck on these eastern shores, and so Daddy Elrond has to do what he can to keep the place civil, and so that means he has to give the sword (Excalibur?) to Aragorn. Does that mean that if Arwen didn't fall for Aragorn that Elrond would not have remade Narsil, dooming all life in Middle Earth to the slavery of Sauron?