Thread: Elven cloaks
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRaL sHaDoW View Post
wernt the cloaks meant to blend in with the nerby surroundings?
Indeed I was under the impression they were meant to blend in and help conceal the wearer. So when Gimli, Aragorn, and Legolas wore them on the plains of Rohan they would appear more green to match the grass and when Frodo wore it at the Black Gate it was more grey.

[QUOTE]"It was hard to say what colour they were: grey with the hue of twilight under the trees they seemed to be; yet if they were moved, or set in another light, they were green as shadowed leaves, or brown as fallow fields by night, dusk-silver as water under stars...'And you will find them a great aid in keeping out of the sight of unfriendly eyes, whether you walk among stones or the tree'"[QUOTE]

I'd say Jackson just took a more green-grey aspect to combine the two shades of cloaks most likely necessary traveling through stone and tree. Perhaps they should have been more grey since that was the initial color seen, but PJ could have also gone with brown or silver since both those were mentioned in regards to the cloak. I think the green-grey combination works quite well in the movies.