View Single Post
Old 03-30-2004, 02:43 PM   #192
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Uien, Falowik, Falco

Uien ate little. Just enough to meet the need of the her growling stomach, and a little drink. These men were emaciated! She walked among the former prisoners, pacing down ragged aisles created by sprawling bodies and legs huddled around makeshift tables full of food. She could hear their labored breathing, saw the sores on their legs, arms, and heads. So many of them, so ill used! She would have to talk to Thoronmir, get him to change the plan. Out of nigh unto two hundred men here, merely half could survive a trip either north to this evil Master's holdings, or to Bree. The rest needed to remain where they were and receive care. Of those who needed to stay here, about eighty in all, one quarter of them were on the mend enough to be up and about; another quarter needed to stay abed for a few days, with exercise inbetween; another quarter needed uninterrupted bed rest; the last qwarter needed rough and immediate surgery.

She went to Thoronmir and explained this to him; then said, "I know that we need to make haste to the holding of this evil lordling, but I must stay and use my healing arts, much as I wish to go on."

Falco and Falowik were listening, near at hand. Falowik said, "Maybe I should stay and help you."

"No, love. Your place is at Thoronmir's side. You need to see to Eodwine."

Falco said, "No telling how far the hold of this overlord is from here."

"That is true," Thoronmir said. He looked to his friend, Awyrgan. "Know you aught of the distance from here to this overlord's keep?"

Awyrgan nodded. "It is not so hard to tell. The same wagon leaves full laden one morning, and returns empty two nights later. This keep cannot be more than thirty leagues away, I wager."

The discussion devolved into how many should go north, a small party in secret, or a host of close to one hundred. Some prisoners were sure that the enemy numbered more than five thousands, others were just as sure that there could not be more than half a thousand. Falco was quite confident of, and argued vehemently for, secrecy and a small number. Some said that the a select group led by Thoronmir should go north, some stay to protect Uien and her hospital, and some others should return to Bree. Others said that they should not be split up into so many smaller groups while the enemy was still in its strength. And so the debate went.

Falowik and Uien left the strategy to those with a mind to it. They walked to the water's edge.

"You will need someone to remain behind and help you. Perhaps Gorby and Anson would be happy to. They do not seem overjoyed that we march north at dawn tomorrow, whether as a small company or a large."

"I will ask them. I wish that I could go with you, but I am needed here."

"I know it. You are wise and kindly to remain here. I would expect nothing else from you."

She moved to him. They stood together, looking west over the lake, watching the sun ride down the blue.

"Come back alive, Loréatan. And bring Eodwine back with you."

"With the strength of your will to keep me, I'll be safe, no matter what may befall."

Others noticed them standing there, but left them to themselves.

Back in the center of the settlement, Lumiel came running from the captives, whom she had been guarding.

"Thoronmir! I have news! There is one among the enemy who says there is a secret way into the Master's hold! Maybe he lies, but he may speak the truth!"

Thoronmir, Awyrgan, and Falco followed Lumiel back to the captives.