View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #214
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
Giant rabbits are a bit of a stretch for me I must say, though not absolutely unthinkable in a book with Beorn's serving-sheep, I have no issue with comedy hedgehogs,

But SEBASTIAN!!!!!!
Possibly a reference to St Sebastian????:
Quote:
On being informed of (Sebastian's) pro-Christian advocacy, Diocletian reproached the saint for his supposed betrayal. The furious emperor then "commanded him to be led to the field and there to be bounden to a stake for to be shot at. And the archers shot at him till he was as full of arrows as an urchin [hedgehog] is full of pricks."Their appointed task (apparently) completed, the guardsmen left him there for dead. http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/...aint_Sebastian
I've read a few references to Boromir as a St Sebastian figure given the similarity of their deaths. Can't think of any specific references to St Sebastian in Tolkien's letters or other writings though.

EDIT I know Sebastian sounds a bit out of place - just so long as they don't give the Trolls silly names :P

Last edited by davem; 12-11-2012 at 09:03 AM.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote