Thread: LotR - Prologue
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 10:08 AM   #14
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
mark12_30 you wrote:

Quote:
There is every difference between maintaining peace, prosperity, and productivity, vice, wrenching and using what is useful (from the land or the people) regardless of the cost or consequences. Intent is key.
While I agree with this, I could not help but thinking how well this would go over with an Ent if he caught one of the Hobbits hacking down a tree. Even if the Hobbit were cultivating the forest in the most responsible manner and desired to use the wood of the tree only to build a barn. . .I don't think that the Ent would be too pleased!

"Intent" is indeed the key -- but as we learn in the Prologue, there are a number of intents that the Hobbits have in common with Sauron:

Order
Invisibility
'using' the land
Rules

Again, I would argue that the difference is one of degree not kind -- yes, the Hobbits intend to establish order for the sake of a well-regulated life, and intend to use the land for 'good'. So they are emphatically not the same as Sauron, but they do share his desire for the above things.

(Crazy idea: they also echo Sauron insofar as they produce smoke? Mount Doom as the anti-pipe? Desire for pipeweed akin to desire for power? Both are forms of self-gratification that are unhealthy if not taken in moderation. . .???)
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote