View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #151
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Day 2 awakening

As the dawn broke and the trolls crawled into their beds, the three wizards only pretended to go to sleep and left the cave as soon as they dared. They were not very happy, and for understandable reasons - they had first lost their hats and now one of their own.

"This is insufferable!" one of them exclaimed.
"It is time to do something about it," another agreed.
"Indeed! It is time to show these trolls that they should not meddle in the affairs of wizards," said the last one, quite forgetting who had started meddling with whose affairs in the first place. But as wizards are never late, they are never wrong either, so it would be pointless to argue.

With their righteous cause in their minds, the three wizards sat down on a fallen tree and started discussing the best way to act. One drew his pipe (claiming it helped him think) much to the disapproval of another and the third in turn was much too fascinated with the birdsong and the daylight and all the other things he missed sorely in the dark cave full of smelly trolls. Soon they figured out their discussion was not very fruitful, so they decided to follow their noses. The wizard with the keenest smell went first and the others followed in his wake. They crept into the cave, assuming shadowy shapes as only masters of shape can. Their steps were almost as quiet as those of hobbit-feet, but even if they had stomped like stone-giants, there would've been little chance that someone would have woken: the trolls were used to sleeping in the eardrum-breaking noise of trollish snoring.

They went around the cave, trying to figure out who smelled the worst. It was a tough task, as all the trolls stank worse than most things the wizards had ever smelled in their long and eventful lives. Finally, they stopped near one of the sleepers whose smell they considered the foulest.

"What shall we do with him?" asked the first wizard in a hoarse whisper.
"I did not think that far," the second one confessed.
"I have an idea," said the third one. "An idea of a revenge. They boiled one of us, so we boil one of them."
"I am afraid we do not have big enough a kettle," said the first wizard.
"We do not need it," said the third wizard darkly. "One of you stand guard here, the other one follow me. I have a plan."

The first wizard stayed - although he really wasn't happy about the smell - while the second and the third wizard went back out. The third wizard took one of the troll's smaller kettles as they went. He told his fellow to make a fire and disappeared, then came back with the kettle full of water. The wizards boiled the water and then they slowly crept back to the cave with the steaming kettle, cursing quietly under their beards.

What welcomed them was something they did not expect. Not yet very far from the entrance, a sound of running footsteps met them, followed by their colleague running for his life.
"Back! Back away!" he shouted. "There's somebody awake! A troll was standing guard in the shadows, crept right behind me, I did not hear him over all that snoring! I just barely dodged his club!"
The other two wizards hesitated, then a yell from deep in the cave confirmed the first wizard's story:
"Ye won't be a-boilin' no one! Come an' get me, ye walkin' beards!"
The wizards looked at each other. They did not dare to go back and start a fight in the middle of the cave; if all the trolls woke up and saw them standing there, there could be no thinking of escape.

"I fear we cannot do anything more today," the second wizard said at long last. His fellows nodded solemnly.
"I wonder if those creatures are more clever than we thought," added the third. "Come, let us once again blend into shadows. We must be patient. Their time will come."

They left the still warm kettle in the mouth of the cave and disappeared into the darkness.

~*~

Dumb and Dead
Thinlómien, "Lom", dispatched by the Wizards as a threat on Night 1
Legate of Amon Lanc, "Leg", dispatched by the Wizards as a threat on Night 1
Pomegranate, "Pom", a Wizard, boiled and eaten on Day 1

Dumb and Walking
A Little Green, "Green"
Bane Mantra, "Bane"
Boromir88, "Bore"
Brinniel, "Brin"
Coppermirror, "Cop"
Gil-Galad, "Gil"
Inziladun, "Lad"
Kath, "Kat"
Loslote, "Lot"
McCaber, "Cab"
Morsul the Dark, "Mors"
Nerwen, "Nerve"
Nogrod, "Nog"
Ozban, "Oz"
Rikae, "Rick"
satansaloser2005, "Sal"
Shastanis Althreduin, "Shaz"
Volo, "Vol"

~*~

Day 2 starts. Wizzers, stop PMing. Everyone, start posting. Those of you who did not vote yesterDay are well advised to vote toDay, or risk a modfire.
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote