View Single Post
Old 04-21-2003, 04:43 PM   #86
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"The Misty Mountains," Andunériel announced, pulling her horse to a halt. Anson stared up at the mountain range in shock. He had never seen anything so big. He couldn't imagine crossing them, but they would have to.

They rode up to the base of the mountain. "I'll go up ahead," Anson said. "I can scout out ways, and anywhere I can't fit, the horses surely--"

"No!" The exclamation was chorused throughout the entire company, and Anson smiled sheepishly. "Not after your prank with the raft," Marsilion added, giving the hobbit a look that ended any discussion.

"We'll take our fortune together, or our misfortune," Andunériel said firmly. "Get back up, Anson. You don't know how to climb mountains."

Grumbling, Anson complied. This would not be an easy trip, and starting it with an argument would not do.

"Would there be any way for us to be over in two or three days?" Anson asked.

Andunériel paused for a moment, then nodded. "If we ride hard, we can be over in two days. We'll have to watch for rockslides, but we can do it in two days."

Anson nodded. "We should do that. We need to get to Fangorn as quickly as possible."

"Two days, people," Andunériel called over her shoulder. Anson saw the company nodding grimly. "Hard riding and little sleep will have to be our plan, but we have no time to waste."