View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 06:42 AM   #27
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
I think most Downers are well aware of the reason why I joined the Downs

Anyway, I stumbled on this site about six months ago, when I was googling for information for my Beowulf-paper (yes, truly, this site is most academic). I had never actually read the Lord of the Rings trilogy before, but was of course well acquainted with the movies and the story in general. I continued visiting the site every once in a while, just to laugh privately at all the Tolkien freaks and to read the Crazy Captions thread. Then, one good day, I discovered the werewolf games and after reading one, I was immediately addicted. I didn't even stop to consider and instantly joined the Barrow Downs, my nickname being the first word that came to mind, and signed up for WWIX. And that is how it began. After a few weeks of quality Downs time, I was so completely in love with all of you I never wanted to leave again. I guess I am one of the few members who became a Tolkien fan because of the Downs, and not the other way around.

I must say I am quite grateful for not knowing much about Tolkien before joining this forum, mostly because there are many intelligent people out here who can be really intimidating, I think, to outsiders. I would probably have been so pre-occupied trying to impress everyone, I would never have enjoyed it so much. Though basically all members are very warm and friendly towards newcomers, the Barrow Downs know a whole range of unwritten rules that probably scare many a newbie off. It is almost strange how online fora can seem like complete, individual subcultures.

Quote:
Because I had nothing better to do.
Yeah, this post is really an extended version of the same reason.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote