View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 10:03 PM   #35
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I was a big fan for many a decade, and finding others of the same ilk was a bit of a challenge in the pre-Internet days (yes, at one time this did not exist!). So eventually I gave up and just held conversations/debates inside my head, as no one else really cared about Balrog wings and minutiae regarding the Istari. My wife, though feigning interest, only humored me.

Then fire was invented, then cities, then motion pictures, then I read somewhere that someone was going to make LotR into a movie. How exciting! as the previous attempt was somewhat lacking. And so I perused the Internet for any scrap of PJ's plans.

Then when the films arrived I was finally able to 'talk Tolkien' with other people...even some within my own family. I was asked many questions that PJ stirred up, and so all of that studying was paying off. Life was good.

Then it was on to RotK. The fun was ending, but at least I would have the extended edition DVDs to keep me warm. TTT was not my favorite, but surely PJ would really shine in the last set, RotK:EE. Little did I know.

I watched the Gandalf:Witch-King scene, and then it was all over. I didn't rewatch RotK for some time, as I was angered at PJ's portrayal of Gandalf. This was high blasphemy, even for PJ. But another voice mocked that maybe it was me. I had to know. Was I going mad (err...madder)?

I looked for other fans discussing this issue. A quick search lead me here. And I've felt at home ever since. And in Tolkien fashion, it's been a eucatastrophe.

Thanks PJ!