View Single Post
Old 04-21-2007, 04:05 AM   #243
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have now started to read it properly and I am enjoying it though I haven't examined the relevant bits of HoME enough to comment on the editorial. In fact I have avoided the relevant parts of the Silmarillion and UT since I knew this volume was being issued to let me give it at least one reading without the memroy of the other versions too fresh in the mind.

The temptation to look is strong though - I knew Sador was lame but I thought his foot was maimed not lost and now wish to look and see if it is one of those wrong ideas you get in your head (such as my enduring idea that the soles of hobbits feet were hairy ) or an actual change. But I do thing it is a healthy thing, for me at least to read it alone first - I have got so used to treating the books as reference materials and it is a real pleasure to let the story take over.

Also the book itself is delightful - makes a change from my usual dog eared paperbacks - and I find the line drawings are particularly charming. I fear that Amazon's reccomendations may turn me into a destitute junkie for hardbacked books

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote