View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 05:05 PM   #259
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
thanks for the review Aiwendil, I looked in vain for a detailed account of it's composite construction from the amazon reviews the day after it came out.

I did get a chance to peek at it yesterday but too much was going on in the local bookstore to dive in.

From Dave M's review sounds like I may want the deluxe [esp if a matching Silm may be on the way]

As for a movie? Please lord NO!

CJRT as I have heard holds the cards here, and I am grateful.
May the Silmarillion and all it's stories remain forever untainted by the artistic lic, of hollywood. Been there, done that...

Aiwendil mentioned the conservatism of CJRT's choices, but this was a foregone conclusion as the 2nd ed. Silm made only the most minor changes. If the Gil-Galad parentage question was going to be revisted, that would have been the time. He wants ths to be an intro to the Silm it seems [I did get to rtead a bit of the preface/fwd]. I am actually suprised he changed even when Anglachel was given!

Overall though it may well be the intro to the Silm that has been needed since 77 for so many folks who didn't or had a hard time 'getting it'.

I wonder if he will do the same for Beren and Luthien as my memory recalls that there was a fairly detailed 50's version of the first sections, that was not used for the Silm, and undoubtedly other more detailed texts were compressed as well, and it would have probably an even wider appeal. IN all of the interviews has there been any word for CJRT or Adam that there will be more Silm material to come???

And apologies if that was adressed already...
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote