View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #262
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
William Cloud Hickli wrote:
Quote:
It's not a question of workability or un-, but rather Christopher's decision to present JRRT's Narn as closely as possible. At the time the Narn was written (1951-56 or 57), Orodreth was still Felagund's brother: the revised genealogy arose later. Introducing elements from other, later writings was the sort of editorial 'meddling' CRT sought to avoid this time around.
Good point. And you're right that the fact that he moved the gift of Anglachel indicates that consistency with the '77 was not his supreme principle.

Lindil wrote:
Quote:
Overall though it may well be the intro to the Silm that has been needed since 77 for so many folks who didn't or had a hard time 'getting it'.
Indeed, it seems to me that the virtue of this publication is that many readers will be exposed to the marvellous Turin saga who otherwise would not have been.

Quote:
As for a movie? Please lord NO!
You know, I've always thought that the 'Narn' could make a truly incredible movie; actually it strikes me as being more fit for cinematic adaptation than is LotR. However, I'm quite certain that if such a film were made today in Hollywood it would be a complete disaster. But bring, say, Ingmar Bergman back to life and put it in his hands - now that would be great cinema.

Edit: Hang on, Ingmar Bergman's still alive!? Shows what I know . . .
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote