View Single Post
Old 12-31-2004, 01:54 PM   #10
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

It's quite interesting to think about. For I used to believe that I had become a better person since reading Tolkien's books, but now I am not sure.

Mainly because it was tied in with such themes as honour and respect and meaning. Especially meaning, and I think this really shone through in The Silmarillion. When I think about it, I wonder why a person with such little respect for religion gets so 'into' Tolkien's story.

My reading of the book slightly coincided with my 'coming of age', so to speak. I first read it at the age of 17, and now 3-4 years later, I am finally quite happy and comfortable with myself. I used to think that The Lord of the Rings had had a big effect on me, but now I can realise that I still do things which may be rather disagreeable to other Tolkien fans! I now think that Tolkien's books were rather a small part of the big picture that is my outlook.

*To note, and I am sorry about the lack of a link, but I am reminded now of mark12_30's 'High: Purged of the Gross' thread.*