View Single Post
Old 07-26-2004, 01:47 PM   #399
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield Ędegard

The moment the words were out of his mouth and quiet surrounded them, Ędegard felt his heart leap to his throat. What had he just done? What if she said no? What if she laughed in his face? He swallowed, suddenly more afraid than he had ever been in his life.

Then she gave him her answer. His heart lifted. He could feel his smile grow so on his face that he thought it could crack, but he did not care. He rose to his feet as she wept for joy, and took her in his arms, lifting her feet from the ground as her tears mixed with his hair for the first time. He had never been happier.

He let her down and pulled her away, and their eyes met. "Leafa, love, you are as the willow's leaf in spring this day, fair and weeping, slim and a joy to behold. Let us seal our troth with a kiss."

Her eyes were pools of blue and white, catching the rising sun's rays and making them shine as bright as ever. They closed as she formed her lips, and he closed his eyes. They kissed. His heart exploded. The world could never be dim again.

He then removed a necklace from around his neck, that he had from his mother, and placed it around Leafa's neck. It bore a flat green stone on which reared a white horse. "This is an heirloom from my mother's family. I give it to you in plight of our troth."

She picked it up in her hand and stared at it, then met his eyes again. "It is beautiful! I will treasure it!"

"And I have wondered for days now how to tell you that I wished to go with you to your father to ask for your hand, and to win him over to returning to Edoras with us, so that he can live with us and thrive there. Do you think he might think well on it?"