View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #132
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
To live in a fantasy world.

Have you ever felt like you were born a few hundred years too late? Today a man's word is worth little more than the air he spends when saying it. Love is either a tool to sell things or a myth, but nothing else. There is no time for one to stop, calm down, unwind and enjoy life for the joy of life itself... unless one doesn't mind falling behind on everything else that makes up daily life. And no, I might sound like a hipocrite... but while I would enjoy the pleasures of a simple life, since that is no longer possible on today's society (even the "simplest" of people are more complicated than what I want) I much rather keep up with the times.

I imagine myself a gentleman. I take pride in keeping my word, and I do believe that love is more than a tool for marketing-types to sell more things or a bunch of rampaging chemicals in our brains. I believe that there is "good" and "bad" and while as always, there are some shades of grey, they are not as ample as some people seem to think. I believe that good actions are worth it for themselves, even what you might call a 'sacrifice', that wouldn't really be so, because of the satisfaction of knowing that you have spent your life in something meaningful.

Sometimes I've wished I lived in the middle ages. Of course it would have been a seriously bad time for me given my ancestry (let's just say that my people weren't exactly loved in most places) but I sometimes fancyed myself sitting on the court of some king or another... or heck, sitting on the throne itself!

Yet my little realistic devil always interferes "Hey man.. you know that that is not how they really lived, right?"

But the offer you are making here is different... far different! You are telling me that I could go live in an ideal world... a fantasy world!. A wold where men like Aragorn, Theoden, Eomer... even Boromir lived! A world where I could just loose myself in unexplored forests, and also a world where I could perhaps even learn how to ride and how to fight and dedicate my life to saving others. Or perhaps I could lead a simple life like Farmer Maggot... have my own little farm and from time to time venture into the old forest. Or I could just dedicate my life to travelling? if I'm lucky, I might just run into some elves, or find Rivendell, or if not at least one or two Dunedain.

A world where all these things that I believe in are more than an ideal... are a way of life. Sure, no computers... and yeah, I live on a steady diet of Advil and Tylenol (although since in ME I'd expect to do more physical work my back pain should get better... once I go through the "omg I can't move" stage) but I'd give everything I own and everything I know for a chance to experience Middle Earth. Sure, I might not live past my 60th birthday and die of a disease that penicillin would cure... or maybe I'd just get my neck kindly relieved of the burden of my head by an orc only a year after getting to Middle Earth.

But if it was even for a day, it would be a day worth a lifetime of dreams. And if I was blessed enough to live to old age in ME, then I could think back and say "well... perhaps I belonged here all along".