View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 11:20 PM   #24
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn D鹠

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
What about Bombadil?
Wasn't he an exception who could even disappear the Ring?
Quote:
I'm not sure if Galadriel or Gandalf was more tempted, but it's worth considering what Gandalf says immediately after what Inzil quoted above:
"Do not tempt me! I dare not take it, not even to keep it safe, unused. The wish to wield it would be too great for my strength. I shall have such need of it. Great perils lie before me."
I think the line "I shall have such need of it" is particularly telling. Gandalf could, seemingly, foresee to some extent trials in his future (the circumstances of his death, perhaps?) where using the Ring could spare him suffering and exertion. In some ways I would argue that Gandalf might be more tempted than Galadriel - but is a bit more subdued about it.
I think that's the matter of opinion. We don't know who was more tempted or who needed it more. Gandalf resisted, but Galadriel "allowed" herself to be tempted. They both needed the Ring(or Power) and they both had motives of their own, they could have taken the Ring without resisting it. They both resisted. Who "needed" it more, you can't forget Frodo for that matter. Like Gandalf he needed the power too, to end the evil. He resisted as well. So did Gandalf. But Galadriel felt its power more than Gandalf.

Wait! Wasn't Gandalf around the Ring longer than her???