View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #30
Mansun

Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Direct references to what you are claiming, please; otherwise, I will have to consider your claims false. Having worked with many major corporations in implementing training and hiring procedures within customer service and human resource organizations, I have never heard of a "Machiavelli test" as you assert. In addition, I have never heard that there is any such mental disorder affiliated with reading or practicing precepts propounded by Machiavelli. If that were the case, then any number of current and past great politicians, world leaders, writers, philosophers and CEO's --from John Milton to Winston Churchill -- had this mental disorder.

Again, the need for direct references are essential when making such outrageous statements.

You are contradicting prior statements, like this one:

Your idea of 'overnight' is interesting. Define what you mean by overnight. Are you aware of how long Saruman was in Orthanc?
To summarise:-

- As an expert on Machiavellianism, you should be able to look up on the matter yourself. I do not wish to derail from the LOTR beyond this. Any psychiatrist would link Machiavellianism with such a mental disorder. That is not to say a Machiavelli = mental psychopath. The research paper below is beyond the scope of this argument for the non-scientific community here.

http://www.nswiop.nsw.edu.au/pages/e..._28_Oct_05.pdf

- Sauron did much more than build an army of orcs and wargs, he built a devastating and unassailable country of immeasurable strength that would stain the land of Mordor and the generations of inhabitants of Middle Earth for eternity.

- In the relative sense, Isengard fell overnight in comparison to the achievements of Mordor. Orthanc was in the end but a hiding place for Saruman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
And, for what it's worth, your assertion about Denethor is rather unfair, since he took pretty much no one's counsel, and while this ended in personal despair for him, he was remarkably successful until that point at leading Gondor bravely in defence against a much more powerful enemy.
Denethor took his counsel from the Palantir, i.e. Sauron.

Last edited by Mansun; 08-16-2008 at 12:19 PM.