View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #57
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyta_Underhill View Post
Oddly enough, I don't seem to be able to extricate "best looking" from "best character portrayal." I was so amazed by what Sean Bean did for Boromir that I found him irresistible. He won me over and made me really rethink Tolkien's Boromir. It was a real revelation and I realized I had never really *seen* Boromir before...Sean Bean really deserves a mention for that. (Yes, I thought Sean Bean was hot, too...) And again, I liked Billy Boyd and Elijah Wood for the fact that Frodo and Pippin resonated for me through them quite well...it is strange how I can't seem to separate my estimation of "best looking" from "best resonance of character." Viggo as Aragorn did this to me as well, and I also found resonance in Cate Blanchett's "man maiden" Galadriel; she did not need to have what many consider the traditional "beauty," but she had the sadness of the "Long Defeat," the wisdom of Three Ages and the tall grace of the Elves. She was perfect. I see her in my mind when I read of the Galadriel of old and the passing of the Third Age.
This is just about my opinion, too! Gandalf was spot-on as well.

But the person who fascinated me most when I saw FotR for the first time was Frodo! I couldn't see enough of those soulful eyes and that expressive face. (For example his face during Bilbo's party. Or the moment he looks back after Gandalf's fall. Or right at the end, when he and Sam look into Mordor... )
And I don't think I am the only one: lovely Frolijah has inspired thousands of fanfictions.