Thread: Unworthy
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2003, 03:39 PM   #34
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have read very little fantasy-type literature, because most are just too...well...fantastic (fantastic as in unbelieveable). I don't really classify Tolkein as "fantasy" because the world of Middle-Earth and all of its inhabitants are REAL to me. Not something that someone has made up. They are real people with real emotions, real places, real happenings...(oops! starting to ramble)

I've never read any of the other authors mentioned (Brooks, Eddings, etal) due to lack of interest on my part. However, a friend recommended a set of books to me a few years ago. They are actually 2 sets of 3 books each. "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever" and "The Second Chronicles..." by Stephen R. Donaldson. While they do not compare with Tolkein's world in layering of history & depth of detail, to my surprise I really enjoyed them and was drawn into this other world called The Land.