View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 08:25 AM   #106
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
"Meeeeee...wit, mewit, mewit!"

Kórpulfr woke with a start and as his dark eyes adjusted to the dim light, he realised that he was still in his study. After leaving the palace he had arrived home, giving meticulous instructions for the northerners orders to be made ready for morning and that he himself would be delivering it. He had then retired to his private study to write his father, informing him of the northern captains interest, in desert folk and skinchangers in particular, He also included Wyrma's elevated status as Falasmir's advisor, hoping the old man would shed a little more light on that matter, though he doubted he actually would, the man seem to have pledged his loyalty to the Woman and never spoke of what business dealings they had. He had then attended the papers waiting his signature, then added up that day's accounts, were he must have fallen asleep.

"Meeeeee...wit, mewit, mewit!" The same sound that had woken him, now pulled him from his waking thoughts, turning in the direction of the sharp call, he saw a dark chestnut, feathered head impatiently bobbing up and down, its long red forked tail feathers shaking as it prepared to let out another piercing call.

"Alright! I'm coming, I'm coming!" he laughed as he walked over to the window, the red kite leaped of the sill as he pushed the window outwards and with a quick turn it flew through, barely waiting for him to step aside. The bird circled the room before landing on the seat opposite Korpulfr's desk and shifting into the maenwaith man that was his cousin Jahr.

"Well did you deliver my message?" he asked as he closed the window on the grey dawn and returned to his desk.

"I swear to the spirit of the great hunter that a herd of mūmakil could have charged through Tinar's room and still he would have slept through it, but I gave him your message and he told me to tell you he would be here as soon as he could get away." With a laugh Kórpulfr nodded, he knew the young man would have been annoyed by the ease of the intrusion, but he knew that Tinar would have learned something from the encounter, he would be more cautious and sleep a little lighter. Picking up the letter he had written his father, he crossed to a nearby shelf and took a small, leather tube. Carefully rolling up the parchment, he slipped it inside the tube and tossed it to his cousin, who caught it with a concerned frown forming on his olive features.

"It's that Captain and his interest in our kin that has you worried?" Jahr sighed, staring at the worn message tube in his hand. Korpulfr could see the concern etched on the young man's face, he thought of his family and loved ones and of the horror stories he had been told of the greed of men who sought to dominate and control their people, like him the young man saw that the threat was not only from the Gondorian's but from the very people who had almost driven their clan to the brink of extinction, should the wrong ears listen to the sea captains words it could prove disastrous for the Maenwaith city in it's tender infancy.

"Not worried Jahr, merely cautious. Take my message to Hįlfr, my father will see to the safety of our people as he has always done." Smiling he placed a reassuring hand on the young mans arm, Jahr looked up and nodded, grateful for his cousin's reassuring words, he then returned to his feathered form, launching into the air then circling the room before grabbing the message tube in his talons and flying out the window, which Kórpulfr again held open for him.

Korpulfr stood at the window for a long moment just looking out on the city envisioning how much better and more magnificent the Maenwaith city would be once it was complete, greater than the great city of Umbar with it's dark places and dark hearted men who seek power only to corrupt and destroy it, He looked not on the dark and perilous slums but on the Palace and the homes of Umbar's Lords, Those who were not driven to evil by chance and circumstance, but those who chose it freely. Like those who had chosen to ally themselves with the shadow and at his askance hunted the great wolf clan till they were all but diminished. His Grandfather had told him how Wyrma and her clan had found them and taught them that the best hiding place was within, but the fierce spirit of the wolf clan made the thought of hiding a hard adjustment, Until they also learnt that the best way to avenge their fallen people was to strike their enemies from within, like a slow poison spreading through it's victim slowly attacking from within!

A satisfied grin crossed his face, for the wolf clan had not hoarded this lesson and had passed it on to others of their kind and for many years they had spread through the Corsairs city, slowly taking over major positions so that when the time was right they would see the great city of the Corsairs fall to it's knees, but not through vast armies and the spilling of blood would this be achieved, but by taking away the cities economical life line, The Maenwaith will take their trade the people will starve and they will blame these lords who sit in their extravagance thinking of nothing and no one but themselves, but just how would they fare when their coffer's run dry and they are forced to live like beggars in the decay of the impoverished city or to run constantly afraid that the many enemies they have made over the years would find them and make them pay for their many crimes.

A loud shrill screech broke the dry morning air and a dark shadow passed over head, leaning quickly out over the window he looked up, but saw nothing. The noise had startled him from his loathing, he had never before realised how deep his wound went till that moment, slowly lowering his head he saw that his right hand was clenched tightly, slowly he uncurled it to see a small wooden figure in his hand, the very figure he had procured from the market the previous day, he had been holding the object so tightly that the image of the wolves face had pressed tightly against his skin, leaving a clear impression on the palm of his hand. Slowly closing his hand back round the figure he pulled it to his lip's.

"Oh, mighty hunter of my ancestors. I'm I wrong to hold to this hatred and to avenge our people, is this my path or do I linger to long in the darkness of my heart." Another shrill screech broke the silence that followed, but he did not look up, instead he took a leather cord from his pocket and bound it securely around the figure, then tied it about his neck, so the figure sat just over his heart. "My duty is to my clan and they want to see their enemies punished , so it shall be!" he said determinedly.

With new resolve Korpulfr went to his room and then when washed and changed he made his way to the houses large dinning hall, with a deep breath and a last tug on his shirt he opened the wooden door's and stepped inside. Around a large oval table that sat in the centre of the room sat traders of various good's and a few others that had been coming to the Korpulfr's breakfast table for many years, but one thing did these men and women have in common they were all Maenwaith, come to discuss the particulars of this days ventures, and to share any weaknesses or opportunities seen in the sea port. As he entered many of the people gathered nodded respectfully, but all waited for him to sit before they commenced with the matters of that days business. Korpulfr listened and watched them all as they discussed, what lords needed what and how they could best out do their Umbarian counterparts and their many thoughts on the arrival of the Gondorian traders as they tried to decide if their trade would be a threat to their plans, all seemingly oblivious to the fact that two war ships flanked the ship call the Star.

But even as he listened one question rolled over and over in his mind 'Why!" why was Mith... what ever his name was asking about skinchangers, what if he was wrong, no he couldn't be! but what if..... Suddenly the door's burst open and in walked an red faced and very angry looking young man.

"How dare you! How dare you send that....." but he stopped as he saw that they were not alone.

"What is this?" he asked with a wave of his hand in the direction of the assembled group.

"This, Tinar is a traders meeting" Korpulfr answered simply, many of the traders recognising Wyrma's youngest son nodded to him respectfully, which seemed to please the fired young man.

"And we are just finished." Korpulfr continued, smiling to his fellow traders, who nodded and began disbanding.
Once alone Korpulfr turned to the young man, "Now you were just saying..." He asked innocently, lifting a pot of hot coffee and carefully pouring two cups.

Last edited by Nerindel; 02-14-2004 at 04:48 PM.