View Single Post
Old 07-30-2003, 06:47 PM   #7
tinewelt
Haunting Spirit

tinewelt has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir was obviously Denethors favorite, but in the end I believe Denethor finally realized his mistakes and folly. I do not have the book on hand, (I'm at work [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) but when Denethor says
Quote:
I have sent my son forth, unthanked, unblessed out needlessly into peril and now he lies with poison in his veins.
and also this line
Quote:
Nay, I will not come down, I must stay beside my son. He might still speak before the end.
So, through most all of the books, it is Boromir who is the chosen son, but I do believe that in the end Denethor admitted to himself that Faramir was the more lordly and "kingly" (although they were stewards), and that he had made a huge mistake. Thats obviously what fueled his rage in the "Pyre of Denethor". Boromir's death did take a huge toll on Denethor, but if Faramir had not been injured to the point of death (as Denethor percieved) I do not believe that Denethor's will would have broken. He might have went on to fight. The factor of the ring did play a huge factor though, because he felt that they could not win without the ring in their position. But I believe Faramir's situation pushed him over the top.

~Namarie~
tinewelt is offline   Reply With Quote