View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #52
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
I meant to start this post by asking if there was something I missed that would explain the three rants about the evil of random votes, but since I don't seem to be the only baffled one, I gather there wasn't. Not sure if it means anything, it probably doesn't, but that conversation seems both uncalled-for and overdone.
So three people saying they don't like random votes is bad, but three people saying that they don't like people complaining about random votes is fine?

Quote:
What strikes me is that everyone of them is doing more or less what Pitch here describes - himself included! That is, keeping the Zil-Legate-issue in the spotlight while at the same time implying that it isn't really relevant, or that both two look innocent.
That's not what I was saying though. I was saying that their discussion is important because of its effects, namely the bandwaggoning others.

Are all of these really necessary? (Note: all underlining mine)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I add my voice to those who prefer not to waste time speculating about the Alcolyte, but there isn't much else to talk about, so what choice do we have, until some better idea enters someone's mind?
Quote:
As Inzil said, it's only speculation at this point - but incidentally, I'm really happy we had it as it cut the banter to a minimum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bom Tombadillo View Post
Now. I think all the speculation about the Acolyte is a bit pointless - there's absolutely no way of knowing, yet, what (if any) theory might be correct. That said, G55 is right - there's naught else to talk about, and it might at least lead to something interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Exactly. As long as there is some even half-serious discussion one can start forming opinions, looking for possible motives behind the talk etc. So talking about the Acolyte serves as a subject in the beginning as any subject. We'll get into the discussion of each other soon enough, I hope. But not without something to discuss first (unless someone starts throwing strong random suspicions around - which I kind of dislike even if it sometimes actually works).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
The Acolyte conversation does have its uses. We can look back at what everyone said and their reactions to other people's posts and start from there.
On the other hand, considering that all of these except for Lottie's were posted before Inzil's:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
This kerfluffle over the Acolyte does serve another purpose, I see. Interesting.
They don't look as bad as they could. But still, there's definitely overworking of the same point over and over again. Basically, Legate had already said it all in his first post on the matter, but because Inzil still argued back, I suppose they were justified in it, just not to that extent. So I rescind some of my suspicion. And I'm wondering what Inzil thought Legate was getting at before that post if not the same point everyone was belabouring to such an extent until then.

And this still means that Lottie looks bandwaggony, and without a good excuse, since it was definitely and definitively resolved by that point, considering that everyone present except Pitchwife and Boro (on which note, Boro has actually said very little of actual substance so far) had voiced their opinion that any discussion was better than no discussion.

Though the way G55 and Bom phrase their point, i.e. "it's basically pointless, but..." don't seem that great either.

edit: x-ed since Legate's list.