Old 10-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #191
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Track 5: the Steward of Gondor

Quote:
Encaitare:Freaky Avatar!!!
Thanks.

Oh, how I do love this track. It really carries the feeling of resigned despair over from the scenes in the movie. The beginning part is, of course, from when Faramir and Co. are riding through the streets of Minas Tirith and out towards Osgiliath.

Quote:
(Sindarin)

Boe le henio [choir: 0.00]
E sí câr athad iyn [choir: 0.22]
Ane ah a phen [choir: 0.44]
I ú athelitha. [choir: 1.01]

You must understand.
He does the duty of two sons now.
For himself; and for the one
who will not return.
The wooden flute is lovely, but of course I'm biased. At 1:22 the Minas Tirith theme is heard, and the percussion is the most noticeable even though it has been steadily building for some time. That's one of the coolest things about the music Shore composed for Gondor. Minas Tirith is a fortress, and war is upon its people. The drums, soft but always present, serve as a reminder of that. They grow faster and louder, to a rhythm and speed that might be used for marching.

And at 2:36... Mr. Billy Boyd in his solo debut. The orchestra grows in volume and tension from total silence. I think this scene is very powerful in the movie because it's kind of surreal and artsy like the very beginning of RotK. The fact that we only hear the music, the occasional sound of the horses, and finally the arrows being released was enough to bring me to tears in the theatre, something which scarcely happens. So yay for Howard Shore and Billy Boyd!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote