View Single Post
Old 12-26-2002, 08:57 PM   #1
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots A Ride to the Dark Side--Discussion Thread

This is a short game to keep us occupied over the holidays. It should not last longer than one to two weeks.

Bethberry invites you to play her game...

Basic Storyline: Horses, some of the finest in all Rohan, have been stolen right out of the stable at The White Horse Inn. Ælfritha, who owns some of them and was taking them to new buyers, gathers a group of people at the Inn to track down the horse thieves and recapture the horses. However, these are no ordinary horse thieves; the story provides yet another example of the dark times that are come upon Rohan in the years just before The War of the Ring.

As a chase, the purpose of the story is simple: to recover the horses, deal the thieves a resounding defeat, and return with the animals to The White Horse. It is possible this aim could be itself defeated. And there will be deaths along the way.

Starting Location: The White Horse Inn, Edoras.

Likely destination: Perhaps we will be involved in a pursuit to Barad-Dur or elsewhere in Mordor, but eventually we will return to The White Horse.

Timeframes:

i) This game takes place in the Third Age at around year 3009.

ii) The story itself or plot covers no more than one month.

iii) This game requires a time commitment of one to two weeks from the game owner and the major players. This game is intended to provide some fun during the holiday break.

Characters:

The characters fall into two groups: the pursuers and the pursued or perpetrators.

The pursuers are Men (and women) of the Mark and travellers in The White Horse Inn, people who know themselves and their business. Horse stealing is not treated lightly in Rohan; this is a posse, although a posse resolute and determined rather than angry, vengeful, or vindictive.

Main pursuers: Ælfritha (Bethberry), the Merchant at the Inn (Anglachel). Other positions available are two Riders of Rohan and any interested patrons at The White Horse. Gamers who have not posted at The Horse are also welcome to submit characters on the discussion thread.

The pursued are the horses themselves and the thieves, Easterlings. Perpetrators are Minions of the Dark Lord, the Nazgul themselves, more Easterlings, the inevitable orcs I suppose.

Character types which would not belong are faint-hearted beauties, plucky but inexperienced lads and lasses, superpowered characters (except for the Nazgul). This isn't a Shire picnic.

The game owner will play Ælfritha. This game provides a backstory for her. She is a character who will soon join Gilthalion's and Thenamir's Rohan RPG ; her full character bio is posted on the Rohan RPG Discussion thread.

To join the game, post your character backstory/bio here and your first post, as a kind of audition. Help me understand what your character is doing during Ælfritha's first post. I'm partial to good writing which shows some thought, flair and creativity. I'll post acceptances here and then you can put your first post up on the game thread.

======

This game starts off with this post at The White Horse Inn:

A muffled neigh and many whinnies caught Ælfritha's ear in the midst of all the festivities at The White Horse. Despite the inky darkness of the sky and the biting cold, she grabbed a large lantern and exited promptly to the stables, where she found the main doors swinging open, the stalls empty, the stable boy, Heórrend, unconscious.

Dropping to her knees, she held him, wiped blood from the large dark welt at the back of his head, and shook him gently. Relief softened her shock as he returned to consciousness. He was one of the few people in Edoras with whom she had forged any kind of acquaintance beyond simple formalities and her concern was honestly felt. His club foot had rendered him unfit for duty as a Rider and often shunned by other more able-bodied men, but he was one of the most knowledgable horsemen in Edoras despite his young age.

"Men," he choked, "many men, Easterlings dressed as us. They wanted the horses." Ælfritha nodded silently, her face in the lantern light an impassive stone of fury.

Woozy and unstable, he climbed to his feet but fell against her. Cradling him, one of her arms around his shoulder, one of his around hers, Ælfritha led him back to the Inn, to Bethberry's quiet alcove, where the Innkeeper immediately rang for aid and a call to arms.

Sickened and fearful, Ælfritha strode into the main hall. "Good people of Rohan and guests of the Mark, we are abused and assaulted within our very gates. Our horses have been stolen, four of them mine, those of others as well. One of our own has been wounded. Who will join me in pursuit to recover the horses?"

===========

The game then moves to the first post in the RPG thread:

Dismay, confusion, anger, helplessness reigned. Many feet trod over the stable floor, the street outside, more with incomprehension than with clear purpose. Finally, a strong voice cried out over the milling crowd. It was Anglachel, calling them to order and purpose, with quick results. Then old Eomund spoke up.

"I am too old to ride with you in pursuit, but I know your family, Ælfritha, and would help you all I can. Take these two horses, Nithal and Doric. It looks like the thieves took the back alley and thence to the gate. The gatekeeper, too, has been attacked. He yet lies unconscious."

"I am appalled to hear that more harm is done. These are brutal thieves and arrogant in their daring. My family will remember your aid, Eomund," spoke a stern Ælfritha, her face full of stoic resolve.

Another voice spoke up, but of lighter timbre. It was Bethberry.

"I cannot leave the Inn, but I can offer you provisions. Here, saddle bags of biscuits, dried fruits, meats, canteens. Blankets also." Ælfritha nodded her thanks, wordlessly.

Other voices called out offering arms, ropes, spare tack, ointments and unguents for horse care, provisions. All of Edoras had been awakened, even the Golden Hall, which sent two Riders and four horses before dawn had creased the night sky. Ælfritha and Anglachel spoke quietly with them. Quickly, a posse was forming for the pursuit.

============

[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]