View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 01:23 PM   #11
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

O yes, it was deliberate; and all the better for it. I reckon that comedy is the way of breaking down the world. If you are depressed or whatever, you need comedy as the antidote. It leads you to view the universe in a certain way. A bit like the realisation that there are billions and billions of micro-organsims in and on your body. It makes you take things less seriously; gently reminding you that it doesn't matter that much.

The Lord of the Rings had comedy, but that was a more life-affirming work. The Silmarillion (and these are only my thoughts, mind you) is not meant to be life-affirming. It's meant to be awe-inspiring. No comedy; nothing which will make you consider the grand scheme of things. The Silmarillion could not incorporate such comedy because it demands that you never take things easily. There is no way Tolkien would make you think of the unserious here!

It's just like music. Sigur Rós and British Sea Power: two of my favourite bands. The latter you can smile at or with; the former will often not allow you to smile. They're that bit more serious. Actually, there is smiling but not laughter.

Maybe.

The other comic bit in The Silmarillion is Aulë's 'They will have need of wood' line. Apparently. I never thought it was comic. Thingol's line about sitting in a tree is not comic either (to me). I find it more scene-setting than comic. But it's a very minor point.