View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 09:43 PM   #139
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pelien watched the front door intensely waiting for it to open and produce her daughter, who happened to still be gallivanting about for all her mother knew. The sun had already sunk into the west, and Pelien sat like a panther waiting for her prey. Adrama had left suddenly that afternoon…a little too suddenly, and her mother wanted some answers. She also wanted Adrama to know her presence would be required at tea time tomorrow.

Fifteen minutes later, which felt like three hours to Pelien who had yet to take her eyes from the entry, the door inaudibly opened and Adrama slipped in looking around toward the stairs and into the kitchen until they rested on Pelien. The expression on the older woman’s face would have wilted a flower and Adrama stood with her back to the door, speechless for a moment or two before greeting her mother as though nothing was amiss.

“I’m tired, Adrama.” Pelien remained stiff, unmoving, and never let her eyes stray from her daughter’s. “Do you know why I’m tired?” Adrama looked down at her feet and shook her head. “I’m tired of working hard to keep this family respectable in the eyes of the community, and I’m tired of having to clean up after the messes you make of your reputation.”

Adrama looked up and tried to protest, but Pelien held up her hand to silence her. “This will not happen again. Now, we will be having guests tomorrow. Some of the ladies from Dol Amroth want to visit with some of the most influential women in this city, and they of course contacted me.” Pelien finally let her daughter’s gaze go and looked down at her nails holding one hand out with her fingers spread. “As my daughter, you will be in attendance. I will not have these ladies think you are out doing…whatever it was you were doing today that kept you from your home after dark.”

Adrama nodded while Pelien rose and told her daughter goodnight. As she walked up the stairs to her bedroom, she wondered whether she’d been too hard on the girl, but then dismissed the idea. Adrama needs discipline and a firm hand if she is too follow in my footsteps, she thought as she reached for the handle to her bedroom door.

Pelien rose early and moved to the dining room where Sador was already sitting, enjoying his hot cereal. Rummel came immediately and took Pelien’s breakfast order and returned several minutes later with a tray of pastries and orange tea. Sador seemed to be in a good mood and talked idly of politics and state affairs. Pelien remained relatively quiet, responding when necessary, and only listening with one ear.

“Honey, the tea party…are you looking forward to it?” Sador’s voice grabbed her attention, and he must have been talking to her without her knowledge.

“Oh, yes, it should prove to be an interesting time.” A smile crossed Pelien’s face that was full of mischief as she looked into her husband’s face. An interesting time indeed, she thought.