View Single Post
Old 05-12-2004, 08:53 PM   #212
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Anorien: Ravion

Ravion quickly realized that a hug was not what Mellonin had needed, and she was no more comfortable with it than he was. Flustered and tired, he stepped aside, wondering what it was he was supposed to have done. Well, more than that, actually, he wondered why he had fallen in with this enormously bizarre crew in the first place. Women and thieves! Would that he were still dousing his worries with whiskey at the Seventh Star.

Then Aeron did something that surprised him greatly. He stood up and said, in a soft voice, "You did me kind service, Mellonin and Ravion. I would thank you." He kissed Mellonin and bowed to the stunned Ranger. There was a brief pause, after which he continued: "Of course, I do not seriously think that the merchant would have drowned me for a mere trinket."

"That was not a mere trinket," Ravion replied quickly, both out of confusion and a little bit of irritation. A trinket? So Aeron thought all that trouble was over a trinket?

"To me it was," the boy said with a shrug. "And it was foolish to be upset at the loss of it."

"If it was such a trinket," Ravion said slowly, from between gritted teeth, "then perhaps you should not have taken it in the first place."

"I take what I can get," Aeron retorted with a slight grin.

"I shall show you what you can take," Ravion exclaimed, taking a step forward. He was not really sure what he was going to do, but it would involve at the very least some harsh words. A trinket, indeed!

"Enough!" Raefindan shouted. Ravion froze mid-step, and Aeron looked quickly from the Ranger to the red-haired man. "Ravion, you're always talking about how we don't have time to waste. Why are you wasting time fighting?"

Ravion did not understand a couple of the things that Raefindan said, but got the gist, and had to concede that he was right. "Your comment was ill-timed, Aeron," he said carefully, trying to control his temper. "After the danger that we have all been through, after the sacrifices that you saw we were all willing to make, saying that it was all for a trinket that you did not truly value was in poor taste." He took a deep, deep breath. "That is all I have to say." He turned sharply and went to Gond. Perhaps now was a good time to stay away from Aeron, lest their tempers flare again.