View Single Post
Old 11-21-2002, 07:22 PM   #28
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘Listen, Bird,’ whispered the Elf, leaning close to her friend’s ear, ‘do you remember how we talked about you doing the footwork and me doing the brain wo . . . er, research about your roots?’ She reached into the leather purse at her belt and pulled out a worn map drawn in dark blue on some worn greyish colored hide. An indecipherable script in faint red ink edged the areas drawn within its boundaries.

‘Where did you get this?’ asked Bird, fingering the odd feeling material. ‘And what is it drawn on!’

‘I got it in one of the lower level taverns in Minas Anor. I was thirsty, and stopped off at the One-eyed Corsican, on my way to catch up with all of you – you all who so rudely left me sleeping on the Star, at Harlond, and went off to have fun.’ She sat back in her chair and smiled at her old friend. ‘You remember the One-eyed Corsican, do you not? It is much the same as when we frequented it.’ Bird grinned, recalling some wild times and narrow escapes from the even then dilapidated tavern.

‘The serving boy, Marúk is still there, though now I should perhaps call him “man”, as his hair is streaked with grey, and his sweet, brown face is lined with years.’ Pio’s face softened as she spoke of him. ‘But he is still all eyes and ears and nimble fingers.’

‘And when I asked him what of interest he might have for me, he told me of a recent group of olive-skinned men who passed through. Men whose language he had not heard before. From signs and gestures and crude maps drawn on the table, he discovered they had come from lands far to the south and east of Gondor. Their funds were low, and they offered him some items of interest in exchange for the coin of the realm, and he obliged them. This map, drawn on cured mumak hide, was one of those items. ’

She smoothed out the map, and showed Bird the intriguing symbols she had noted. Scattered about the regions in discrete groupings, were cross-hatched areas. In the middle of each area was drawn a crude stick figure, each with the drawing of a different animal, insect, or bird where their head would be. ‘The big problem here is that we have no idea what regions this map refers to, only that it is somewhere east and south of Gondor.’

She looked at Bird, who was running her finger lightly from figure to figure. ‘What do you think? Could this be a lead you might somehow follow up?’

Mithadan had by this time come over to the booth, and she moved her legs, inviting him to sit beside her. ‘Give us a kiss, love.’ she laughed, kissing him lightly on the lips.

‘And your opinion on this map . . .’

Pio had her thoughts turned toward Gamba. The young scamp was up to something, she could tell. She caught the thoughts of 'Guardians' and a certain glee over an image of a ship sinking. The Lonely Star! and Hobbrim! 'What was he thinking, that he should want to stir up so much trouble for himself with Cami? Best let her deal with him.'she thought to herself.

'Play along.' she told the two at her table, as she told them what she had sensed from him. 'He needs an audience and some sort of reaction, so let us give it to him. The Lonely Star is fine, I just left it not even a day ago. And as for the Hobbrim - they are not here.'

The small tempest had come and gone and Pio continued her conversation with Bird and Mithadan.

[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]