View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
On the Downs

"Hullo Karl" , answered Jessamy. She didn't know Karl well - noone seemed to really - but so relieved was she to see someone that wasn't a spectre or a werewolf that she couldn't care less that most Breelanders thought that he was a queer fish. Besides she remembered her father's words when he had chided the youngest of her brothers for some derogatory comment about him "He walks to the beat of a different drum but that doesn't mean there is any harm in him". Erling Woodseaves had been an outsider himself, having migrated up the Greenway after the floods that followed the Fell Winter destroyed Tharbad. Nearly thirty years on this was seldom remembered save by the few who bore a lingering resentment that he had acquired by marriage a fine farm as well as a fair wife. He had become a part of the community but he would not tolerate narrowmindedness in his children.

"It was meant to be an adventure...but it has turned out quite horribly ... and I didn't come alone ...Edwin and some others were here but we got separated and I didn't like to go home without them... and now it is getting dark and I am going to be in so much trouble... " her voice tailed of and she was trying hard not to cry with the relief of no longer being alone.

Breeland

Knowing Jessamy could not possibly be where she was placed her eldest brother on the horns of a dilemma. Silas was torn between sibling loyalty and the fear that something bad might have happened to his sister which would be exacerbated by his silence. Their mother’s heedless request that they fetch her home with them now filled him with guilt.

He hoped in vain that Jessamy would be already home when he returned to the farm and it was only when Fern was safely installed in the cosy parlour with Sukey and the knitting wool that he confided his fears to Seth as they set off.

Seth had laughed at his worries teasing him that it was impending fatherhood that had made him overly concerned and rather enjoying the opportunity to lecture his elder brother. “No, I don’t think we should tell Dad. We skived off enough when we were her age and no harm done. Jessie won’t thank you for getting her into trouble for nothing. Chances are we will find her in the snug of the Pony, pestering hapless travellers for stories and drinking Mrs Butterbur’s hot chocolate - besides Dad’s done in, he was asleep in his chair more or less as soon as we got in. And mum would be frantic... no need to worry them until we know there is something to worry about”.

Silas nodded but his mood did not lighten. Maybe Seth was right and he was going soft but he was particularly fond of his baby sister - after a succession of brothers she had been a novelty, like a foxcub, with her russet hair and bright blue eyes, and when she had curled her tiny fist around his finger she had set a grip on his heart that had not weakened a decade later. And nothing Seth could say would dispel the fear that he might not see her again. It was as well the sturdy ponies that drew the waggon knew the road for they got little guidance from their fretful master.

Soon the waggon reached Bree’s South gate. They stopped first at the forge, dropped off the chain that needed mending and learnt from Bryn some news of their sister. Jessamy had passed by first thing in the morning but he hadn’t seen her since - though he was of a mind with Seth that she was probably fine. Shorter and stockier than his elder brothers he had an easygoing nature that wasn’t prone to flights of imagination. “I’ll just finish off here” he said wiping his hands on his leather apron, and I’ll join you at the inn - if she’s not there I’ll help you look and if she is you can buy me a pint”.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 02-15-2010 at 11:56 AM.