Thread: The Way We War
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 08:19 AM   #73
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Regarding the bolded passage- are Dwarves typically in the position of fighting people significantly taller than themselves? I mean, yes, they can be, but don't Gimli's words suggest he's not accustomed to fighting Men? And indeed most of the references are to Dwarves fighting Orcs, who themselves tend to be on the short side- c.f. the "huge orc-chieftain, almost man-high" in "The Bridge of Khazad-dum".
I'm fairly sure I recall Orcs being described as roughly the same size as Dwarves, if not smaller, especially Orcs from the Misty Mountains. Also, there's a reference in HoME about it not being uncommon for Dwarves to war with Dwarves of other houses.

So, I think yes, Gimli's remark about the overlarge hillmen is his acknowledgement that Dwarves usually don't war against a significantly taller enemy.

And this battle at the Hornburg is something the movies muddle up. Saruman's attacking force wasn't 10,000 entirely his superior breed of Uruk-hai. It was a mix of Saruman's Uruk-hai, Dunlanders, and your standard/smaller Orcs.