View Single Post
Old 02-06-2024, 03:01 PM   #8
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
I seem to recall some mention from Frodo or Bilbo that the Ring was placed on a chain because it sometimes changed size. I could not find such a reference in Shadow of the Past (which does mention that Gandalf's interest in the Ring shifted from professional curiosity (when Bilbo found it and disclosed the "true" story) to alarm at Bilbo's conduct during the Birthday Party (which prompted Gandalf's visit to the archives in Minas Tirith). This is an interesting observation, Priya.
It is from The Shadow of the Past. Early on in the conversation between Frodo and Gandalf.

"Though he had found out that the thing needed looking after; it did not seem always of the same size or weight: it shrank or expanded in an odd way, and might suddenly slip off a finger where it had been tight... Yes, he warned me of that in his last letter, said Frodo so I have always kept it on its chain"

From this it appears that Gandalf would have been aware of the ability to change size prior to going to Minas Tirith.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote