View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 02:56 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I think there aren't many apart from those already mentioned. I think the problem is that most of the possible parts are short, apart from those mentioned above, like the lay of Lúthien. It is, of course, possible to just have a shorter quote, but it depends what exactly is the custom and how would you like to use it... Anyway, in case you wanted to consider them, there might be e.g. some parts about Faramir and Éowyn (but I think it is not exactly suited for that, but you be the judge, maybe it is in this case) or whatever... You might like to go through all of them yourself, because, you are the one who should know what is "situationally appropriate" - like, in relation to the people and their relationship and all. For instance, even the random thing from Frodo about Sam with the "You will have to be one and whole, for many years. You have so much to enjoy and to be, and to do" (which can be sort of directed towards both, not only one of them - hey, actually! Only now have I realised - wouldn't it be all too great to apply this really to both of them together, you know, in the spirit of the well-known wedding-verse "and they shall be one..."), that could be good as well... But in any case, the best are probably the "classics" as mentioned by others. Maybe, as the last one, of the "songs", some part of the song of the Ent and Entwife. But then again, you have to judge what is the best situationally fitting... it might be even something completely unlikely and not so obviously related might work, you should just consider that too...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote