View Single Post
Old 12-03-2002, 06:31 PM   #96
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Nardol lowered his sword as Mithrandir approached, yet he did not sheath the blade. The Ent had stepped out from the trees but did not approach, apparently out of deference to the wizard.

"Entwife?" cried Nardol. "That is not of the Onodrim! It is a shape-shifter!"

"Yes, well, indeed," answered Gandalf, looking back to the tall tree-like figure with a hint of disappointment in his eyes. "Yes, it is. And I would not doubt 'it' would prefer to be called a 'she' rather than an 'it'. But come now, sit. Join us. There is no danger from her, is there?" He looked pointedly at the Ent who remained silent.

Nardol sheathed his sword and, with a last glare at the shape-shifter, sat on a log. A moment later, Rustal emerged from the trees and walked over to stand by the Elf. Nardol patted the stallion's flank and turned to the wizard.

"You choose strange companions Mithrandir, as is your wont I am told," he said. "I am Nardol, of late from Imladris though I am most frequently found travelling the northlands."

"Ah. Yes, Nardol of the Noldor," said Gandalf. "I have heard your name in the Blue Mountains. Tell me, how is Elrond?"

Nardol paused to glare at a woman who had been staring at him before answering. Then he continued. "Elrond is well. He sends his greetings. Indeed it is you I seek for I bear an envelope from him. I have travelled some ways to find you and have found these lands to be less friendly than they once were."

He rose and opened one of Rustal's saddlebags, removing a sealed envelope from it. He handed the packet to Gandalf and seated himself again on the log. Nardol pointedly ignored the curious gaze of the wizard's companions as he stared into the fire...