View Single Post
Old 03-12-2004, 09:35 AM   #20
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hearpwine laughed loudly, crying out “I am in time then for the Contest! I was afraid indeed that I might be too late, for news comes slowly to my land – good news at least, the bad always arrives as though borne by the great Shadowfax himself! Aylwen, you say. ‘Tis a fair name, and well-deserving a place in one of my songs:

“Aylwen the Innkeeper, fair keeper of ale,
Cup-bearer to many and courteous to all!”

And again he gave voice to his infectious laugh. “But the Contest you say is tomorrow? Then I shall have to wait until then before I can have any beer. It may be a powerful drencher of thirst, but the very worst thing for the voice. Nothing but water shall pass my lips until I’ve had the pleasure of singing before the King! Come, let me have a cup; you seem to know somewhat of music, and I delight greatly that you will come to hear me tomorrow. But for now, let us sit and talk of our songs – perhaps there are some that you can teach me?” So they sat and spoke of the lays that they knew and of the great bards they had heard. Hearpwine was eager to hear everything Aylwen could tell him of the songs and singers at Edoras, for he had spent his life in the retirement of the Westfold where few of the great bards ever came. He coaxed her into singing a few short songs that he quickly was able to memorise; one in particular that took his fancy described the parting of the Lady Eowyn and the Lord Aragorn at the Muster of Rohan. “I’ve never heard that song, but it is beautiful indeed. The Muster,” he sighed deeply, “Alas, I was not able to reach Edoras in time to join the King on his ride into the East, so I have only seen that great event in the songs that I’ve heard tell of it. Would that I could have been there!” His eyes flashed. “Thankfully, I did not pass through the War without any chance of honour. Those of us who arrived too late to fight and fall at the King’s side were sent to defend the northern marches. We slew many hundreds of the orcs who came raiding from across the River, looking for easy pickings among the emptied lands of the Rohirrim.”

“But enough of the past,” he said. “For my mind is full of tomorrow and the glory that awaits me in the Golden Hall! I am always looking for songs to learn, and for people to teach me them. You are, I know, a busy woman, but if you could vouchsafe me an hour or so of your time I believe I could learn somewhat from you. If you are restless about your duties, however, I shall seek amongst the others gathered here.” Hearpwine looked around at the strange mixture of peoples at the Inn. “I daresay there are many here with songs I’ve not heard, and tales yet untold that need setting to music.”

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 03-12-2004 at 09:49 AM.