View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #54
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
What you mean you don't like super elf Orli ?

Seriously I suppose that part of my inability to accept actors older than 35 for Thranduil is the fact that I felt the elves in LotR looked too old or human. Bower is light haired and light skinned naturally, which would fix some of the problems I had with Celeborn and Legolas. Jason Isaacs would have been a good actor but he's 47 now...Honestly though at the rate filming is going all the actors will be too old.

I think with the elves though getting the age part right is difficult. My imaginings have always been based off of the quote, "...but no sign of age was upon them, unless it were in the depths of their eyes;..." Granted that quote was solely about Galadriel and Celeborn, but I can't imagine Thranduil looking older than them. At the same time I can understand not wanting them to look too young.

One of the other things worrying me about the coming movie is how close they'll stick costume wise to the book. Tolkien doesn't spend much time on clothing but what he does describe is intricate to the characters, in my opinion. The dwarves need different colored hoods, Bilbo needs his handkerchief*, the wood elves need their gems on their colors and belts, and Thranduil needs his crown of flowers.

*Why does Elrond have a red silk handkerchief to give Bilbo?