View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 05:57 PM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Wonderful post Fordhim, and I only got a tid-bit to add...

The only reason, I think, that portrays the quote I provided as a negative side to Aragorn, is he doesn't even have that power yet. He's not king yet, and he's still trying to override Theoden's orders. It shows his willingness to become King, but he doesn't have that power, yet he tries to cast away Theoden's orders.

Theoden's orders are foolish, but Aragorn atleast here, is trying to use power that he doesn't have. (Eventually he does get this power, and is entitled to that power, but right now he doesn't have it). Hama even points out, it doesn't matter even if you were in Denethor's place, this is Theoden's hall, and his orders will be obeyed. Which brings up two interesting questions. Gandalf says "A king will have his own way, in his own hall?" I wonder if this has any connections with the Gandalf and Denethor encounters in the chapters to come? Also, if Aragorn was King at this time, I wonder what would have happened? If he was King and his will would be able to cancel Theoden's, what would have Hama done? What would have happened?

The nobility of Aragorn is shown, in which he differs from Sauron, is when he doesn't take power that he's entitled to. He lets Faramir remain as Steward, and he lets Eomer remain King of Rohan.

Then lastly to Eowyn. I find it slightly funny, or maybe it's just that Theoden still hasn't totally recovered, but he doesn't even think of Eowyn...
Quote:
"In the House of Eorl." answered Hama.
"But Eomer I can not spare, nor would he stay," said the king; "and he is the last of that House."
"I said not Eomer," answered Hama. "And he is not the last. There is Eowyn, daughter of Eomund, his sister. She is fearless and high-hearted. All love her. Let her be as lord to the Eorlingas, while we are gone."
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote