View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #54
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I would agree with Lalwendė; it's cool seeing the elves as other than super-model saints.

And what we see, as we discuss Turgon, is his and then others trying to hold back time. All things change, even for the elves, though they might want to deny or slow it. Feanor makes the Silmarils, imperishable, yet these jewels change the face of Arda (and Melkor's ). And the jewels go from earthly items you could have held in your hands to unearthly elemental...things (a star, a water molecule, a shiny rock?). Turgon hopes to sit in an island while Middle Earth founders in Morgoth's sea, but as stated, he should have seen that he could not prevent the inevitable, only delay it, if but for a little while. A mechanism for bleeding off the chaos that would accumulate over the years, for example memory erasure and deportation, may have been a prudent pursuit.

The bad thing about control is that the more you do, the more you need to do. And over the years fear and fear of the new grows, as things may slip, or you just think that they are slipping as you are losing your mind, and so you attempt to control even more.

Adapt. Evolve.

Later, we see again the embalming elves attempt yet again to be Turgon with the creation of the Three Rings.

Though I'm surely contradicting myself, some things never change...