View Single Post
Old 08-22-2002, 06:29 AM   #8
stone of vision
Haunting Spirit

stone of vision has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Greetings Gorothlammothiel, Arathiriel <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It seems highky unlikely that it should have been given to Connery as McKellen is more fitting to the character. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Being an actor and not a catalogued actor shouldn' t be easy. Who would know what kind of Gandalf Connery would have made?<BR>For my part, when I think of him, that's J.Bonds 007, Aston martin and spy stuffs i imagined, so many millions miles and times away from FOTR, duh?<BR>I can aslo remember Connery playing King Arthur and the Highlander's mentor, and yes i think he could have been a great king in ME.<BR>I think he really has so much Energy of life and Passion in his playing which may suit more the human kindred than the grey shades maiars...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> However I suppose if everyone's ideal Gandalf was included we would have either many grey wizard's, or one with mulitple personalities... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Ian McKellen is and ALWAYS will be Gandalf! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Those thoughts lead me to another question:<BR>Having seen the movie, don't you think , Jackson's vision will have a great influence on the way we imagine LOTR the book?<BR>When you read the book, Do your mind tend to picture the characters or the place like in the movie?<P>From my pov, i would say yes, except maybe for Arwen, i found a bit too warior -ish and not enough " elvish" ( not that i don't like her portrayal by liv, in fact i like in the movie but it doesn't fit with my thinking in the book)<BR>and Boromir who is different in the book and the movie, more " likeable" in the movie than in the book.<BR>I had a hard time with Aragorn too, finding Viggo too young, but the more i watche the movie and the more Viggo becomes Aragorn.<P>And what about the places!!! The autumnal Rivendell, the out of time Lorien with that fantastic flying tree city of Caras Galadhon,<BR>the green and " homely" land of the shire, the guts of Orthanc and his tower and of course the epic and dark Moria.<BR>I'm in awe, the only thing my brain could do is making them, brighter, darker, beautifuler...<P>Nz is a being a magnificent land, i wished i could spend some vacations visiting it! i would research the places where LOTR was filmed lol!<BR>Unfortunatly i've heard, the shire scenery is being removed what a pity for all fans !<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"You cannot pass! I am a servant of the Secret Fire, Wielder of the flame of Anor. Dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udûn. Go back to the shadow! You shall not pass!!"<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Arathiriel thanks so much for the quote, truly one of my favourites with his speach about pity and gollum ( in the moria in the movie, at bag end in the book), and in the front of a well of moria, growling to Pipin:<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!" -Gandalf <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh my, that's your signature! ...i couldn't resist... <BR>lol! Gandalf we love you!

Nee, ai****ara
Dare mo ga konna kodoku ni naru no?
stone of vision is offline   Reply With Quote