View Single Post
Old 10-12-2003, 07:38 PM   #90
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Dúlrain

Dúlrain had finished his pipe and ale, giving Rauthain and Maethor a comfortable head start before he too stole into the night. Pulling his cloak tight about him he mounted his horse, Dir and rode out of the inn yard, to begin his search, but what he hoped to find , not even he was sure. Many times they had come close to catching the Revennor of Mordor and each time she had managed to evade capture!

The only sounds that could be heard on the empty streets was the soft clip clop of Dir's hoofs on the dry earth, the occasional stray cat prowling the hedgerows. Every now and then Dúlrain dismounted and examined the ground for some clue, but the ways were well trodden, making it impossible to distinguish one track from another.

Stopping at each of the gate houses he speak with the watchmen, enquiring if they had witnessed anything unusual this night, but apart from the questions of rangers nothing had seemed out of the ordinary. Tipping his hood and bidding them a quiet watch he continued on his patrol.

As he continued he thought on the effect of lady Léspheria's presence in the inn earlier, surely the tongues would have been wagging if another two elves had been seen in town, But then again Naiore did have an uncanny way of keeping a low profile, so low sometimes it seemed like she just disappear. For nearly twelve years the rangers had pursued Naiore and always she slipped through their fingers.

"Not this time!" he whispered heatedly spurring Dir on, intent on making a second sweep to be sure he had not missed anything.

As he again approached the south gate he found the prints that Rauthain had spoke about, he then attempted to track them back to their source, he followed them, leading Dir behind him, but not being as experienced at tracking he lost them when they became entangled on the numerous cart, horse and cattle, tracks near the farming area of town.

Frustrated he remounted his horse and went back to his patrol, but just as he was about to round the next corner, he stopped hearing a familiar grumbling. "Toby Longholes!" he grinned as the hobbit rounded the corner, groaning the hobbit abruptly stopped, turning about and quickened his pace in the opposite direction.

"Now! now! Master Longholes there's no need to be rude, I only want to speak with you" he laughed pulling Dir infront of the hobbit.

"Ha!" Toby spat "The last time I spoke to you I ended up spending two weeks in lockholes!"

"Oh, your surely still not sore about that, after all you did try to part me from my purse, I thought that a few weeks in lockholes would improve your manners, but perhaps I was wrong and it was not long enough?" he said raising a suspicious eye brow and drawing his sword.

"Alright, Alright, you win!" Toby cried throwing up his arms, "What do you want to know?"

"oh, no, not me." The ranger grinned "I believe you have an agreement with a friend of mine."

"tsk! I should have known that he would not be alone," the hobbit grumbled.

"Lets go" Dúlrain laughed sheathing his sword and hoisting the hobbit on to Dir's back, infront of him.

A thin line of light was breaking the horizon as Dúlrain and his small companion reached the inn. "Hail Friends, I have brought a visitor!" he laughed. But as he approached he could see by their grim expression that they had not found anything of their quarry.

Amandur nodded approvingly to him then turned and hammered on the door of the inn, Dúlrain handed Toby into the care of Rauthain and Maethor , then he dismounted and went to join them. After several minutes an irritated innkeeper opened the door.

"My apologies, good sir, my name is Amandur, a ranger of King Elessar,"

"Ah! Strider, fancy him bein' a king an' all, what can I do for you good sir's?" he asked brightening slightly.

" A quiet room in which I might speak with my companions in private, would be helpful " he smiled.

Nodding, Butterbar gestured for them to follow, he lead them a short way down the passage, and opened a door. "Here is the Parlour!" he said "I hope it will suit, Excuse me now. The morning is a busy time for an innkeeper and his staff, if you should need anything ring the hand-bell, and Nob will come, If he don't just ring and shout!" and with that he turned and left through the door.

Rauthain and Maethor guided Toby to a stool and urged him to sit. "I will go keep watch for sign of Bree's other visitors!" Dúlrain told the others, careful not to reveal to much to the loose tongued hobbit. Amandur nodded, the warning of caution marked in his eyes, giving Toby a last grin and a curt nod he went to retrieve his horse.