View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 03:30 AM   #14
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
We only know of three: Gabilgathol (Belegost), Tumunzahar (Nogrod) and Khazad-dûm. The four others were in the East and apparently unknown to Western lore, although I daresay the Western Dwarves themselves probably had detailed information on them given that they were able to summon them for the War of the Dwarves and Orcs, for instance, and if I've read correctly still traded with them also. Given that four of the Seven Rings were destroyed, and we can imagine a Ring may have been allocated to each house (including the heirs of Belegost and Nogrod who now dwelt in Khazad-dûm, presumably, if this was the case) it seems not unreasonable to me that some of the Eastern mansions probably suffered over the course of the Third Age as well, if not the late Second.

I once read an interesting article proposing a mountain range in Rhûn between the Misty Mountains and the Orocarni or Red Mountains to allocate the four Eastern houses space, but personally I think it's not unreasonable to imagine that all four Eastern houses were delved into the Orocarni, if indeed the Orocarni was where they were delved. Belegost and Nogrod, despite being individual mansions, were both delved into Mount Dolmed, after all.

The influence of Khuzdul was likely to be seen in Adûnaic as well: Professor Tolkien mentions "the theory (a probable one) that in the unrecorded past some of the languages of Men - including the language of the dominant element in the Atani from which Adûnaic was derived - had been influenced by Khuzdul."

I also think it's interesting to consider the bearded, axe-bearing Easterlings who appeared in Gondor during the War of the Ring, which is something which suggests to me the possibility of certain cultures in Rhûn which bore a Dwarven influence due to a comparatively high concentration of Dwarves in that part of the world.

There was no Dwarven settlement in the Iron Hills until Grór led part of Durin's Folk there in 2589 after their halls in the Grey Mountains were destroyed by Cold-drakes.
A fantastic post. Most informative, and really interesting. Particularly the citation about summoning aid from the other Houses during the war with the Orcs. This, again, reminds me that there was a treasure trove of adventure, stories and mythology that we will, so sadly, never know, from the author's hands. To have tales about the Rings and their histories, for each of the bearers would make exceptional reading.

I know FA is all about 'the fading' and so on, and that all tales must end, which is what makes a tale particularly compelling, in a sense. Grieving the passing of the story and nostalgia for the journey bear us the appreciation of a story--to know all things end--which for me is where Elvish Lamentation connects. And again, around the fringes of my imagination, are the flashes of Gildor Inglorion here, Gulls on the Shore--and for this thread--I can almost hear the sounds of Dwarven hammers and anvils as they forge wonders in their great mansions.

I read upstream that Gundabad was a homeland for a Dwarven Hall before it was overrun by Orcs! I have never heard that, and your post resonates more directly with my memory of Dwarven Lore.

Gundabad, being nigh to Carn Dum, was a Goblin homeworld and outpost, as I recall. Given The Witchking's reign, striking well back to SA, I wonder about Gundabad. Though I suppose Arnor's ruin was a TA phenomenon, and the Mirdain were several thousand years short of the Sauron's second fall in the SA, so that's time for a Gundabad takeover, in time for Arnor.

Can anyone clarify the Gundabad history and their citations for it?

[edit]I can't add this post to your reputation, Zigur, because I have to, first, add some to other posters--I'll say it this way, publicly, instead[/edit]

Last edited by Ivriniel; 05-14-2014 at 03:34 AM.
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote