View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #43
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Very well written, Formy.

I first remember reading LOTR when I was maybe 10 or so. My father had read The Hobbit to me before that though, and I even have very vague memories of being taken to see the Bakshi film. In short, I cannot recall a time when Tolkien and Middle earth were wholly unknown to me.
Unlike many here, I have never been a 'fantasy' reader, unless you count Stephen King, most of whose works I've become well enamored of (at least until the early part of the past decade, but that's another matter). Tolkien is the sole fantasy author in my bookcase. I have on occasion leafed through some other authors works, but I just can't seem to get the fire to follow through. All I can conclude is that Tolkien spoiled me. His combination of story, characterization, and perhaps over all, the magnificent verbiage, are unmatched. That's probably why I'm so critical of attempts by others to 'adapt' the books and put a different spin on them. I'm just not interested.

Every couple of years, I seem to get it into my head to read Tolkien again. I finished the latest reread about 4 months ago. Each time I seem to have no trouble immersing myself, feeling the cool night air with Frodo, Sam, and Pippin leaving Hobbiton; following the dim glow of Gandalf's staff in the stifling darkness of Moria and hoping we'll get out again.
Though in latter years my tastes have mostly run to non-fiction, it's ever a blessing to know that Middle earth is still waiting patiently for my return.