View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 04:04 PM   #133
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thornden laughed silently to himself as light hearted bickering passed to and from the lord of the Hall and the short, round hobbit. But, no indeed, he hadn’t known that Eodwine had been born a farmer. . .no one would have thought it, seeing him now. Well, now they might, with the makeshift roof above and the rain dripping outside, making mud of the yard. But not when they heard his title and saw what the hall was going to be. Yet everybody has to come from somewhere.

“Maybe we should gather everyone around and do a bit of Gob and Twiddle. What think you of that, Thornden?” Eodwine asked, turning to him.

“Maybe. So long as I’m not asked to carry it on immediately,” Thornden answered at once. “I’m not such a bright mind at coming up with stories like that. I’d stumble about like a drunken man in the dark and then end up in silence, except it wouldn’t be silent because everyone would be laughing. But I’m more than willing to listen.”

“Then let’s separate and go see what the others think,” Eodwine said, standing up as he spoke. “Come along, Falco.”

The three parted ways and Thornden went back out to the rain to the stables to see if Leof was still there. He was, and Gárwine with him. He suggested to them the continuing of the tale of Gob and Twiddle and they both agreed quickly to come. Leof told him that he had to finish something in the stables quickly and then he would be able to join them, and Gárwine was going to stay to help. So Thornden smiled and nodded and left them.

He went to the kitchen where he thought it would be best to tell it, seeing as it was the largest room still in service, and it had a warm, merry fire - a comfort on a day like this. Falco was already there and Fordides, with Kara and the elderly lady Thornden had seen earlier, were evidently already acquainted with the plan.

“Where’s master Eodwine?” Thornden asked, stopping in the doorway.

“He’s getting the others,” Falco replied. “He’ll be here in a minute.”

“Well, good,” Thornden said, coming in and taking a seat. “I’ve got two recruits on their way.” He glanced around the warm, bright kitchen and smiled a little. “I think we’ll have an excellent gathering. Though,” he added, suddenly remembering. “Those twins won’t be here. . .they probably won’t like missing anything, but it can’t very well be helped.”