View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 09:03 AM   #39
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
First, I want to attempt an answer to the interesting question Lalwende raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwende
I have to say, in the Silmarillion, Tolkien lays out all these tales and leaves us to judge whether the characters were right or wrong; such distinctions can be more clear cut in LotR than in the Sil. Is this due to the style? Or is it that LotR goes into more narrative detail so we have more chance to learn motives etc?
This is part of the reason why I love the Silmarillion above everything else in Tolkien. The process of reading it is like studying mediaeval history-and I mean that entirely as a compliment. We're shown this dramatic, highly coloured, tragic and beautiful world; but we're shown it almost without sources. So in the end our personal taste is decisive and not bound by any conventions. So, at the risk of sounding awfully pious, everyone is right in, for example, this Turgon debate.

As for my own views...I never really admired any of the heroes bound up with the general "let's go and beg to the Valar" approach. Earendil never got near Maedhros in my view for instance. I suppose the words of Feanor held an enduring grasp on my mind.

When I read the Silmarillion, I sided, quite naturally, as I did with the Orkneys in Malory, with the Sons of Feanor. They seemed to me quite the obvious heroes at first. The clear quest to avenge their grandfather and father and regain the jewels, whatever the cost...I supported it utterly. Even in the later Kinslayings, I thought to myself "Idiots! Why don't you give them the gem? It belongs to them!" This seemed to me the obvious, clear approach.

Imagine my surprise when a friend I'd recommended the book to remarked "These Sons of Feanor! They should forget about the jewels and get a grip!" Another slant, and one that might be thought rather more usual...! But it took me a while to sympathise with it.

A final point, to Formendacil, and to Fordim I suppose-Maedhros was, if briefly, High King of the Noldor between his father's death and his renunciation of the crown. You could even make a case (one much beloved by fanfic writers) that Maglor was acting High King during Maedhros' captivity...