View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #11
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Tar-Eldar Network Television pre-tournament report

The Weekly Wrap
by Elenrod Finrodion

It's still months away before the biggest stage in all of football, the 2012 Arda Cup, opens, and so the eyes of most of the footballing world is on the Elvish Premier League, the biggest national league in all of Arda (and covered exclusively by TENT).

Eldar United, the most storied franchise of that league, whose dynastic reign, though challenged, has lasted for most of the decade, whose roster has been filled with the who's who of Elvish football, is in danger of not finishing on top of the standings for the first time since Fëanor Financial, Ltd, acquired the team almost ten years ago.

And it is only fitting that the one who rose up to seize the pole position was the only team to have defeated them this season.

Eldamar, the team owned by Fingolfin Funds, had fought out a 1-1 draw with Eldar United on the second match day of the current season, and then, in the second-to-the-last match day just yesterday, got away with a 2-1 victory over Fëanor's squad.

And what a game it was. The scorer's table got busy after only three minutes of playing time, when Eldamar striker Penlod stole an errant pass by Elf U defender Caranthir and sprinted away before sending the ball past fellow Gondolindrim Rog and into the net.

Afterwards an enraged Fëanor took it upon himself to score the equaliser. This turned out to be a bad decision, as he was shadowed by Fingolfin himself. Furthermore, he seemed to have forgotten that he had top-class scorers Aredhel and Míriel on his team. The Eldamar captain challenged his older half-brother without fouling him, forcing him into taking a lot of off-target shots. And those shots that did manage to find their mark were snuffed with ease by the Eldamar goalkeeper Finarfin.

Just before the half Fingolfin stole the ball from a now-apoplectic Fëanor and booted it deep into the Elf U half, where a rushing Gwindor managed to take the pass barely onside before sending a rocket from the top of the box.

After the halftime break, a noticeably calmer Fëanor entered the pitch, listening intently to his mother before taking his position on the pitch. Their captain's change in attitude manifested in Eldar United's performance, playing a smoother attacking game that featured dangerous crosses into the box, dazzling solo runs, and accurate missiles from outside the penalty area. It was nothing short of miraculous that Eldamar's defence managed to deny them time and again, even managing to mount their own counterattacks that also came close at times. But their denial wouldn't last forever--almost twenty minutes into the half an Eöl corner kick resulted in an Aredhel header that caught the Eldamar defence looking the wrong way.

But that would turn out to be the final score line of the match. Fingolfin's squad challenged possession of the ball more, blunting the Elf U attack and producing chances of their own. Eventually, the final whistle sounded, and Eldamar players were hugging each other on the pitch before carrying their captain Fingolfin off on their shoulders.

Eldamar now has a two-point advantage over Eldar United in the standings, with a game against relegation-bound Avari on the last match day. Only a troll would be foolish enough to bet against Eldamar winning the Premier League title, even if Eldar United wins over their last opponent Greenwood Archers.

Fëanor, predictably, didn't show up for the postgame interview, but his teammate Eöl was there to represent the team. Fingolfin was there as well to represent Eldamar.

Ard-Galen Herald: That was an impressive performance on the pitch, Fingolfin, limiting Fëanor to only three shots on target and no goals. How do you feel about what you've done?

Fingolfin: You all know how much I look up to my half-brother. He's always been consistently a player of the highest level, both in the league and in the Arda Cup. Having to defend him was a task scarcely less arduous than fighting Morgoth, but I'm glad that I was up to it.

Hísilómë Bulletin: It's all but sure now that you've secured your first Elvish title. So let's discuss your plans for the upcoming Arda Cup.

Fingolfin: When I missed the finals for the first time last year, after winning it all with Gondolin in '10, I was very disappointed with myself. You could say that we were in a tough group, and fought a tough first round opponent. But that's no excuse for a quality team. They're supposed to win, no matter the odds against them.

Hísilómë Bulletin: Is it true that, despite being approached by your children and kinsmen and mortal allies, you turned them all down? Do you have any plans to form a team this year?

Fingolfin: I gave it much thought, but I decided that this time around, I'll leave the leadership role to someone else, so I can give it my all on the pitch.

Hísilómë Bulletin: But you're Fingolfin. Almost everyone else looks up to you. Who could lead someone as respected as you? Are you planning to join a Valarin team, then?

Fingolfin: I am not yet at liberty to discuss which side I have signed with for the Arda Cup.

Despite much prodding Fingolfin refused to answer questions regarding his Arda Cup affiliation. So the focus was shifted to Eöl.

Nan Elmoth Times: How do you feel about your first Premier League loss in three years?

Eöl: We gave it our all, but we still lost. It happens. Being second always gives people the drive to try and overthrow the champions, so us on top should always be ready to defend our title.

Nan Elmoth Times: How did you feel about Fëanor's play during the first half.

Eöl: He's a very passionate player, with all the pros and cons that go with it. But you can see the results. He's led us to the top of the standings for eight straight years, and he's won an Arda Cup, as well as all those scoring titles. I'd rather have him passionate about the game than not care about it at all. But I won't deny that at times he makes me feel uncomfortable, but he always presses us to be the best we can. Our stay on the top was all because he was there to push us.

Nan Elmoth Times: So you're happy playing with him?

Eöl: Yes.

Nan Elmoth Times: So you're not against playing with him in the Arda Cup?

Eöl: Yes. In fact, I am happy to reveal that I have signed with his team for fifteen million dollars.

Fingolfin: *casts a sideward glance at Eöl before muttering* How come I got one million less?

Beleriand Inquirer: What was it, Fingolfin?

Fingolfin: Nothing.

Morgoth has also been sighted in the arena during the match, but attempts to interview him have been turned away by his troll bodyguards.

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 11-07-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote