View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 07:48 AM   #182
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
‘You are not a child. . .You are free to choose.’

The tall elf had said that. Facing a dripping, cold, frightened and stubborn boy, the elf had said that. Kwell couldn’t help the shiver that passed from his head to foot as Lindir handed him the dagger.

“I crafted this blade when I was your age. Take it. It’s yours. You’ve earned this weapon by your bravery and endurance.” Kwell looked at the dagger for a moment, saying nothing. That wasn’t true. There had been no real bravery and endurance. Azhar had been the one who was brave. Kwell had simply endured because he had to, not because he was brave. He looked up, tempted to say so, but Lindir had gone.

Kwell watched silently as Rôg limped away, leaning on a stick for support, and Aiwendil followed with Azhar. He felt weary and cold. The pit had been warm, the slight night breeze on his wet skin made the open air feel chill. He was bruised and sore, but Kwell decided to stay behind. What were all these discomforts and momentary pains compared to the ability of being free to choose, and then to fight for that freedom? Never before had he been able to make any choice of his own. At the plantation, all the slaves were treated worse than animals, and with the escaped slaves, he had been considered a child.

He squared his shoulders and clenched his jaw shut to keep his teeth from knocking together. He walked forward to stand by Lindir’s side.

“I’ll stay with you and the. . .hobbits,” he said, a little hesitantly as he darted a look towards Carl and Vrór. He drew a deep breath and looked down. He studied the dagger in his hand, working up the courage to say something he’d never uttered in his life. “Thanks,” he finally managed, and felt his face grow hot.

Last edited by Folwren; 09-14-2006 at 09:38 AM.