View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 05:59 AM   #4
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
One of my faviourite bits of the book (and radio adaptation) is not shown here, but I was 90% sure it wouldn't be. When Sam can't find Frodo and sits down, almost in despair, and starts to sing 'In Western Lands beneath the Sun'. It always leaves a tear in my eye when I read (or here on CD) Sam singing this song.

I realise movie wise, in the midst of the all the fighting and us moving closer to the Climax of the movie we can't really stop for a song.

I love our 'Elivish Warrior' dispatching a few orcs with a splenndid nod to his old man and the Shire. The shot of his shadow standing there and frightening the orcs looks just like I imagined it from the books.

For the 'search light' as we have argued before, Alatar, show me a better way of showing Sauron scouring his lands for spies. I can't think of ANY other way so it works ok for me. Tolkien has the advantage of telling us what Sauron is doing. Without a narrator, Jackson does not have this ability.

I do get annoyed (gasp) by different characters taking on different roles. For example the reversal of Gandalf's role in the Debate (as mentioned above) - Stop giving all the credence to Aragorn. He's done a good enough job already!

But I don't mind Merry riding out with the Men of the West, only because of the splendid shot of Pippin and Merry charging a few seconds before the rest of the troops in a few scenes time.

I was dissapointed we didn't see more of the Houses of Healing, and Aragorn calling back Faramir, Eoywn and Merry. And we also miss one of my favourite lines when Eoywn tells Eomer to make Merry a knight of the Riddermark!

Everything seems to bring tears to my eyes when I get to this section of the book and further onwards. But the film does not do this for me. (Although it does partially make up for it in a later scene when I balled my eyes out like a baby when I first saw it at the Cinema!)
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote