View Single Post
Old 03-20-2003, 07:56 PM   #245
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The party had been going nicely, much to Sam's relief and satisfaction. It was nice to be among his friends again, the friends that he had shared so much with. And, though he wouldn't admit it even to himself, the best part was that he was pulling it all off without Rose.

Sam, Pippin, Bilbo, and Frodo were all there, reminiscing and finally talking about Tol Eressea instead of the Shire. Sam finally felt comfortable enough to ask questions about it. While Bilbo was answering one of them, Frodo slipped behind Sam and, tugging on Sam's arm, brought him outside, saying, "I wanted to talk with you, Sam. It's important."

"Sure, Mr. Frodo," Sam said, a little puzzled. What was going on? "Is something wrong?" he asked.

Frodo shook his head. They stood outside for a moment, in the night air. It was a cool night, calm, with just a little bit of a breeze. The stars shone brightly overhead, and there were hardly any clouds to obscure them, or the brilliant moon. Then Frodo began to speak, asking a question that Sam had thought about many times over the past twelve years. "...does a tiny piece of you ever hear the sound of the Sea in your head and wonder if someday you'll see it yourself?" Frodo finished.

Sam was silent for a long moment. It wasn't an easy question. He loved his life in the Shire, with Rose and the children. He loved being the mayor, with all of the duties and responsibilities that the title carried. He loved living in Hobbiton, in Bag End, reading and watching his children grow. But sometimes he would go out with the boys--and the girls, if they wished--and they would camp, and sometimes, when the went out far enough, Sam could hear the whisper of the sea in the air. Just a whisper, and when he paid too much mind to it he couldn't hear it anymore, so that he wondered if he'd ever truly heard it at all. But if he heard it, he'd hardly be able to sleep, thinking about the sea. He'd only seen it once, but he still saw it in his dreams at night.

He opened his mouth to answer, but was cut off when he heard, not with his ears, but with his mind, I have missed you terribly. Even with all the beauty of the West, there's still a piece missing. I guess if I'm truthful with myself I want to know and believe that you and Rose are happy and content, but that a little part of you still misses me and wishes we could be together.

Sam stood still for a moment, as the breeze passed over him. Was this the same speech that Galadriel had used in Lothlórien, all those years ago? Frodo was speaking to his mind, as Galadriel had done? He saw Frodo look up, seeming surprised, and he smiled a little. It hadn't been intentional, and now Frodo was waiting for Sam's reaction, which had been negative in Lothlórien. But not so this time.

"I do wish that, Mr. Frodo," Sam finally replied. "All the time. And though I would wish that you were perfectly happy in the West, I have to admit that I'm glad to hear that you missed me, because I missed you. The children will tell you that most of the stories I tell are about you. And I am happy here in the Shire, with Rose and the children, but I do get that aching that you were talking about, for the sea. But it isn't really for the sea, Mr. Frodo. It's for the West, and to see you again. And it makes me feel better that you feel the same way."

[ March 23, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]